"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all." Helen Keller

Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Marathon Adventure

Well it's been 4 weeks since I began my marathon training. It's time to update you on my progress and um my challenges. Now keep in mind because of my bum leg, I can't run the entire time. So I am training to run/walk my marathon.

Week 1
The very first day of training was also the first day of school for my students. I found that I have to leave right at 4 each day so that I may get home in time to change, hydrate, hit the trail and be home and cleaned up before my tv shows. I cant miss my shows. The first day went well. I was exhausted after my day of teaching, but I knew I still had to do this training. It was stinking hot and I was slow as molasses, but I still went out there and ran.

I'm also eating better. I know that what I put into my body will either hurt or help me while I train. So counting calories has begun. I've also quit drinking caffeine and alcohol. Not drinking caffeine or alcohol has never been a problem, but portion control and not constantly stuffing my face with chocolate....not so easy.

After running in ridiculous heat all week and almost needing to call someone to come scrape me off the pavement with a spatula because I melted and fried like an egg on the concrete, I capped off my week by running 5 miles. Not too bad, but I could do better. Always.

Week 2
I hate running on treadmills. I run and run and go absolutely nowhere. I have been running on the treadmill on Thursdays because I have to run sprints after my run and I'm not sure I've mentioned this yet, but it's so stinking hot outside!!! I know I have to train. Normally I'd chicken out and not run cause I hate treadmills, but I put on my big girl panties and did it. A big shock to me so far in training is having to exercise 4 days in a row with no rest days. I'm use to training for a half marathon that allows more rest days instead of back to back running days with crossing training in between. That's been a challenge sometimes because my legs are tired, but I keep on running. I ended my week running 6 miles. When I hit the 5 mile mark I noticed I was faster than the previous week. Not too bad, but I could do better. Always.

Week 3
My worst nightmare came true....I had to run on a track!! Oh the horror of it all!!! If there is anything I hate worse than a treadmill it's running on a track. You just run in a circle over and over and over. Kind of reminded myself of a hamster running on a wheel. I had to run on my school's track after my car duty because I had a Humble Rodeo meeting to attend that evening. I knew if I didn't run on the track, I'd never run when I got home. So as boring as it was, I did it. (another one of those big girl panties moments)

My feet. Oh my poor poor feet. I hate feet, because they are disgusting. Runners feet are pretty gross. I've had bleeding toes, blisters, and other things happen to my feet that are too gross to mention. They are toughening up though! One thing is for certain, I will not have pedis until after my races are over in February. I'm not going through the toughening up process all over again!

I've noticed I'm getting faster when I run. I'm really excited about that. I also ended my week running 7 miles. I went to my sister's house to run in her neighborhood because she has tons of gihugic hills. I want to challenge myself and not get use to one type of running trail. I did better than I thought I would do on the hills and I am able to sing to my music while I run. Which means my breathing is improving! Yay!! But, I know I could always do better.

Week 4
This week has been my hardest week mentally. Our sweet outside kitty Ralphie died suddenly. We were with him when he died. I had my hand over his heart petting him and telling him how much we loved him. I felt him go. Poor sweet baby. I'm still on the verge of crying thinking about it. Ralphie died on a Sunday evening. I did not run on Monday like I was suppose to. I hadn't slept from the night before, I haven't eaten anything because I just couldn't because of sweet Ralphie, and I couldn't bring myself to run either on the trail or on the treadmill. You see there is a spot on my running trail where I first met our Ralphie. He plopped down in front of me purring just wanting some love. I always think of him when I run by our spot and it always made me smile. I knew I couldn't run by our spot that Monday. So I skipped that day.

I did run and cross train the rest of the week even though it was hard mentally. I have caught myself about to cry every time I passed me and Ralphie's spot. I am a lot faster this week. Maybe skipping a day did more good than I thought?? On my cross training days I have been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I bumped myself up to level 2 this week. I thought I was going to die about 6 different times. How does Jillian kill me through a DVD?? She is damn good is all I can say.

I ended my week completing a 6 mile run. I was 14 minutes faster than the first time I did 6 miles. Not too shabby. But I know I can do better.

So far I have lost 7 pounds. I have gone down a dress size. I am wearing all smalls in everything. And I am wearing clothes I haven't been able to fit in in years. Even my small jeans are too big for me. Maybe there is something to this whole running business?

4 weeks down, 16 more to go.

No comments: