"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all." Helen Keller

Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Great Ghost Adventure-aka The Stanley Hotel

So ok. I believe in ghosts. There. I said it. Whew I feel better getting that out! I've always wanted to go on a ghost tour, and I love watching Ghost Hunters (Is anyone else just as devastated as me that Grant left??) When my sister lived in Colorado she mentioned that she knew where the Stanley Hotel was located and you could actually sleep in the hotel. Ghost Hunters even had a couple episodes at The Stanley. So after freaking out with excitement for a few minutes, I said lets do it. I mean why not? So our Great Ghost Adventure began.

When you hear the Stanley Hotel I'm sure you think of Stephen King's The Shining, Jack Nicholson running around with his crazy eyes and ax, the gihugic maze of shrubs, and a creepy kid waggling his finger croaking redrum. When we pulled up to The Stanley Hotel the first thing I noticed was that there wasn't any gihugic shrub mazes or a crazy-eyed Jack yelling, "Here's Johnny!" or a croaking kid. But the creepy factor was there. We went up the steps and entered the hotel. When we were all checked in we went to our room; which happened to be a couple doors down from the famous room 217. Our room held two double sized beds and it had a bathroom that looked like it should belong in its own creepy haunted movie. Naturally, the first thing we did was sign up for a ghost tour. And then we were off!


The Lobby of the hotel.


Mrs. Stanley's piano. Sometimes you can hear her playing the piano.


Our ghost tour began in the same hallway as our bedroom. We stopped at Room 217. Mrs. Wilson is the maid that took care of this room before she died. When Stephen King and his wife stayed in the Stanley Hotel, Mr. King was at the bar writing some in his book "The Shining" and Mrs. King was out and about. When she returned to her room, Room 217, all of the King's stuff was unpacked and put away. When Mrs. King brought that up with her husband and thanked Mr. King for unpacking, he looked at her like she was crazy. He did no such thing. Mrs. Wilson was kind enough to unpack their stuff for them. Jim Carrey stayed in The Stanley Hotel when they were filming Dumb and Dumber (The Stanley is the hotel featured in that movie.). He too stayed in Room 217. Mr. Carrey woke up in the middle of the night to something that spooked him. He ran out of the hotel and stayed in another hotel down the road. He refuses to stay in The Stanley to this day. I'd like to go back to The Stanley and stay in that room. I think that would be another great adventure. Anyone want to come with me? We went inside the room and it looked nice, and the bed looked comfortable too. Up next we went up the most haunted staircase in the place (where the ghost children like to play), and up to the 4th floor to room 401.

*Please note: the light looking orbs in the pictures are ghosts of some sort.*


Room 217


Haunted Staircase


Room 401-the most haunted room on the 4th floor


Room 401 is haunted by what is known as the Ghost Thief. This ghost likes to steal or move items from hotel guests. The closet in this room is also the most haunted closet in the hotel. It is reported that whispers from the Ghost Thief can be heard in the closet, and people feel breathing on their necks while in the closet. Our tour guide asked our group if anyone would like to volunteer to be closed up in the dark closet for a bit. Well, of course I said I would! So, I was in the closet. I just stood there, and took some pictures to collect "evidence." (My Ghost Hunters training was kicking in. I don't know why they haven't called me up yet to be on the show.) While I did not experience any whispering or breathing I did get a picture with a mysterious shadow that no one can figure out what it is. Take a look at the second picture below and look to the right of the picture. Maybe you can tell me what it is.

Haunted Closet



Next we went down to the most haunted hallway on the 4th floor. A long time ago, the 4th floor was where the children stayed while their parents did whatever. It is reported that a red ball sometimes is rolled down the hallway. Also, guests of the hotel have reported knocking on their door. When they look out, no one is there. The tour guide chose 3 of us to "play" with the children. I was chosen because I work with kids and I kinda volunteered (again). This was so much fun, and definitely something I won't ever forget! We got in a circle in the middle of the hallway, sang ring around the rosie, and sat down on the floor. Then we sat still with our palms out. All of a sudden I could feel a rush of cold wind on my hands. I looked around to see where it was coming from, and the hotel does not have AC and none of the windows were opened in the hall. There simply was no explanation as to where the cold breeze was coming from. Meanwhile, the rest of our group was snapping pictures like crazy to see if any orbs would appear in the pictures. And boy did they appear! Take a look at the pictures below to see the kids we played with.







After that, we headed down to the basement where not much happened down there with us. And that ended our very cool tour. That night was the best night sleep my sister had. Me, on the other hand, had a little visitor. It was sometime in the middle of the night, and I was sound asleep. (My side of the bed was near the main door.) All of a sudden I felt something pressing hard on my left shoulder. I woke up and I swear saw a little girl giving me her baby doll, which was the "pressing" feeling I had on my shoulder. I did the most natural thing in this situation: freaked out. While it was a neat experience, I just couldn't bring myself to getting out of the bed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night after that. I waited until morning.

This was most definitely a very cool adventure of a lifetime. One of many I won't forget. I hope to go back one day for another adventure. Who is brave enough to come with me? :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky!!
Loved your Post about the Stanley! My friend, her daughter and husband stayed at the Stanley this weekend in room 401. My daughter and I stayed a few doors down.

Anonymous said...

We had lots of experiences too!