"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all." Helen Keller

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears!.....wait it's just 4 kitties, a dog, and a turtle

I am a huge animal lover. I love all kinds of animals, reptiles, whatever. You name it, I love it. Well, not roaches. Those are just terribly gross and scary. I run away screaming like a girl when I see one. Yes, I just admitted that. Do you know how hard it is to remain a professional in front of kids when a gihugic mutant roach is in my classroom? 9 times out of 10 I'm not very professional. It's ok though, the kids always save my life in these kinds of situations.

My first pet I ever had was our sweet white and black spotted kitty, Beau. He has markings at the top of his head that look like a bow. Since we got him in Louisiana we named him "bow" spelled the cajun way (Beau). And his eyes. He has the prettiest green eyes I have ever seen in an animal. I remember when we went to the animal shelter in Louisiana and he was laying in the cage leaning up against the cage door. He stuck his cute little paw out of the cage and grabbed on to each of us as we pet him. We instantly knew he was ours. He had anything and everything wrong with him. Poor kitty. We took him to the vet and got him all fixed up and flea free. Beau was an outside cat for the longest time. He would bring us "gifts" that he caught from when he ran wild outside. One of his gifts for us was a little baby rabbit (still alive). Dad gently took the little rabbit back to the woods near our house after we thanked Beau for his gift. When we moved to Slidell, Louisiana Beau became an inside cat. He loved to sit in your lap when you had a blanket on. He would sit on you and not move for hours. When we moved to Texas, I remember putting a fire in the fireplace and Beau would just lay in front of the fire for hours. He loved that so much. Beau got sick, and after years of giving him medicine, one day he couldn't walk any more. His spine was deteriorating. I remember coming home from work, and my mom had to sit me down (because she knew how much I loved him) and told me we were going to have to put him to sleep. This was another one of those heart shattering moments. I ran upstairs and shut myself up in my room for a long time. I just couldn't handle the thought of not having him around. He was around most of my life. I held him when we took him to the vet, straightened his part for the last time, and watched him stare at me with those beautiful eyes as we left him there. Even to this day, my heart aches for him. I have moments where I'll be driving in the car, and I remember those eyes and start crying like a blubbering idiot. I just stuff down those feeling deep down in my heart, and have to move on.


Another one of our pets we had the joy of loving is our little Maltese dog Barkley. When we got him he was this tiny little fluff of white. We named him Barkley because he looked liked the dog on Sesame Street who was named Barkley. (I keep waiting for a trivia question that asks who was the dog on Sesame Street because I'd know that answer!)Oh gosh Barkley loved cheese! If he ever got out of the backyard we would just have to say I've got cheese and he'd turn around and come back home. Barkley was just the sweetest dog ever. He would love to sit in the backyard with the sun in his face. That was his favorite thing to do. In the end, he ended up getting tumors in his mouth. He lived longer than the vet expected him too. We had our little puppy for 17 years. I was right there with him when he died. It is too painful for me to write about what happened that night. I still have thoughts where I think, I'd better watch for Barkley or Barkley would love going for a ride today. But then, I stuff those feeling deep down in my heart just like I do with Beau.


When I was in college, I got the cutest Aggie cat there ever was. My Oliver. Oliver is my kitty. He only really cooperates with me. He looks an awful lot like Beau but tons pounds more heavier. He loves to sleep in my room. More specifically under my covers. I can make up my bed and he still finds a way under the covers. He loves to play when no one is watching, and he loves to eat any Italian food that I have for me to eat. I just love my kitty with all my heart. :o)


Simon is our other kitty we have. He is a tuxedo kitty. He also has an extra thumb on his paws. So he looks like he is always wearing a baseball glove. Simon has diabetes and we have to give him insulin shots twice a day. He is also on a strict diet. However, he is not afraid to let us know when he is hungry. He tries to eat everything. He is like a garbage disposal I swear! Simon is the biggest lap kitty I have ever seen! You will be on the couch for 2 second and he is there in your lap purring. He is a cutie pie!


Our last kitty we have is little Lucy Jane. I swear she must have been a tight rope walker in another life. This little girl weighs next to nothing and has the energy of a toddler. She also doesn't jump very much. She'd rather climb. Even now, I'm watching her climb this large chair we have and sit on the back of the skinny chair. What cat does that?? Our crazy Lucy Jane of course! Lucy also loves string. She will find string that we didn't know we have around the house and want us to play with it with her. Her favorite game besides spinning around in crazy circles with string is to play fetch. She will literally give you a toy run across the room, jump high in the air to catch it, and bring the toy back to you to play with again. She is super cute!


Remember when I said I love all kinds of animals and such? Well I happen to have a pet turtle too! I found this turtle in my school, and brought him home. I named him Tutor the Turtle. This turtle has the most personality of all turtles. He will come running up to me when I have food for him. He loves to sit in his big water bowl like it is his own personal swimming pool. When I talk to him, it is like he is really listening to me because he has his head stuck out of his shell looking at me. Gotta love it!


So why am I writing about all this pets stuff in my Life's Adventures? Well because I simply love animals. And all my pets and other animals I run across is an adventure in itself. Without them, I wouldn't be me.

No comments: