"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all." Helen Keller

Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Biggest Adventure Yet

"Teachers live in the moment celebrating each success as it happens, because every personal triumph for a child, no matter how small, inspires him to achieve more."~Paula J. Fox

My biggest life adventure is still going on to this day. Before graduating from Texas A&M, I interviewed for an internship position. I walked into this large conference room and was interviewed by about 12 principals from my school district all at the same time. Talk about nerve racking! What do you know? I was hired to teach second grade at Pine Forest Elementary (and I've been teaching there ever since!). Because I was an intern I skipped student teaching and went straight to work. One of the best decisions of my life. Not too many people skip student teaching.

I first started off teaching 2nd grade for four years. After that I moved to 3rd grade. I taught 3rd for four years. When I moved into 3rd grade I feel that my role as a teacher took a turn for the better. Here is where I met my fellow co-worker and now best friend. She taught me so much as an educator. Since then I have been able to foster parent and student relationships better than ever. Now I am teaching fifth grade with my best friend. I cannot wait for that adventure to begin! (Side Note-We have been so affectionately named Thelma and Louis, Laverne and Shirley, Fric and Frac by others around us. Seriously we must have been sisters separated at birth. Another side note-My Bestir and I grew up in the same town, went to the same high school, same college, and never once knew each other until we worked together. We have some of the same friends too. So weird.)Anywho, by no means of the imagination do I think I'm the best teacher out there. I have so much still to learn. I take advantage of everything I can so that I may be a better teacher for my kids. Everywhere I go, I try to find ways to incorporate what I learn into my lessons with my kids.

I love my job. I love everything about it; the kids, the people I work with, the learning experiences I have each day, and the parents. Everyday is different. I've learned to expect the unexpected; like when you get to school and there is no power and you have a classroom full of children (you better believe we still learned that day!). I have taught siblings, special ed students, GT (Gifted and Talented) students, ESL (English as a Second Language) students; you name it I've taught them.

I get asked all the time if I have children. While I don't have any biological children of my own, I always answer this question by saying, "Yes. I have 23 children." You can imagine the looks on their faces when I answer that. But it is true. The kids I have all school year are mine. I teach and treat them like I would if they were my own. Not only do I teach them academically, but affectively as well. (Not to mention the manners piece and other various life-long skills.) They are my own until summer time. Not only do my kids call me Ms. Norris, but I often get called Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle; to be honest it is an honor the kids call me these things because we are a family. I treasure all of our family moments we have. It is very hard letting them go. On the last day of school, my kids and I usually just sit in a large circle and hug each other, cry a little, and don't ever want to go. I always get visited by my kids year after year. Even my kids that are in high school now, come to see me. It always makes me smile and touches my heart in a way they will never know.

In case you haven't noticed, I just love kids. I have so many stories about my babes. I adore even the students who aren't in my home room. One of my favorite sweetest kids I know was in another classroom. I took care of him as if he was mine. This little boy is special ed, has had surgery on his brain, has to wear strong hearing aids, and wears braces. No matter what he goes through he always has a smile on his face. We've even played at recess together. And the hugs he gives. Wow, he hugs just like my grandfather did. I remember at lunch he just didn't look right to me. So I went over to him and asked him what was wrong. He said nothing that he was fine, but I knew better. He finally broke down and began to cry, and latched himself to me. Bless his heart. My sweet boy. I fixed him up and took care of him. Even now that school is out, I'm wondering how he is doing. Another fun student I had gave me a dragon. We had a wonderful conversation about the movie "How to Train a Dragon." After seeing the movie, I told my kids that I would love to have a pet dragon. Well my sweet girl went home, painted me a ceramic dragon, and gave it to me. She said, "Now you have a pet dragon." And my dragon never leaves my desk. :-)

I have written several grants (thanks to my improved writing skills from when I received my Masters degree), been on many committees at my school, nominated several times for Teacher of the Year, and been Team Leader for several years. I have accomplished a lot in my 8 years of teaching, and I can't wait to continue this life adventure. I truly believe this is what I am suppose to do. This is the path God had led me to. I only hope I do justice for Him. I most certainly try every day I'm with my kids.



No comments: